I. Explain the following terms in English (40%)
1. Transformation drill
2. The acquisition/learning hypothesis
3. Peripheral learning
4. Fidel charts
5. Task-based instruction
6. Total Physical Response
7. Language experience approach
II. Answer the following questions in English (60%)
1. Please describe the transformation of major language teaching methods that significantly reflect the changes that have occurred in the past century in regard to the development of educational theories from Behaviorism to Constructivism.
2. Controversy between Phonics and the Whole-Language approach has been raging for many years in the discipline of language education in the United States. Please elaborate on the pros and cons of each approach. Additionally, please comment on how EFL education here in Taiwan is or has been impacted by these approaches.
3. It is recommended in the Nine-Year Integrated Curriculum Guidelines that English teachers in elementary schools and junior high schools adopt “multiple approaches to assessment.” In addition, both summative and formative assessments are emphasized. Explain what these concepts mean and provide examples to illustrate how they can be implemented in elementary school English classes.